Portland Leather Goods FAQ
When will my order be here?
Please allow 1-5 business days for order preparation, plus 1-3 day shipping with USPS Priority Mail. As soon as your order ships, you’ll receive an email with a USPS tracking number, which should help in keeping an eye on its journey!
Can I get free shipping?
We do our very best to keep our quality leather items as affordable as possible – running regular sales when we can afford to! The truth is that the majority of online companies are selling mass produced items that are made with low quality leather and laser etched to personalize. They buy them at such a low cost that they can afford to give you free shipping and still make money. What we can assure you of is this – when you buy our full grain leather products, they will be 100% hand made at a far superior quality than most other leather sellers. At 50% off retail plus other occasional discounts, we have already lowered our prices to the maximum we are capable of doing. Since we haven't factored shipping costs into this pricing, we need to charge the appropriate costs. USPS has raised their prices a bit over the last year and we acknowledge that. However after doing a comparison with other shipping options we still feel like the benefits outweigh the costs. This is because they offer tracking and signature confirmation while assuring a very speedy delivery. We hope you understand where we are coming from!
Do you ship internationally?
We certainly want everyone to enjoy our leather, far and wide… However, shipping our goods out of the US brings about some serious challenges and in order to keep up with our current production demand, and also keep our items at the same low price point, we have had to make the hard decision to not offer international shipping. If at all possible, we encourage you to find someone in the US that you trust to receive an order for you and make your own international shipping arrangements – this can also be beneficial in avoiding customs charges, since the sender is not a business!
I am trying to apply two discounts and it’s not working – help!
We often have multiple discount options available through different platforms, however, we can't stack coupons so we suggest going with the best deal of the day! If you have the 10% off code for signing up for our newsletter, you can save that to use another time!
Do you give an additional discount if I order a large amount?
Since our items are already 50% off retail, plus we often run additional discounts, we do not offer a bulk discount for purchasing large quantities. We promise you’re still getting a fantastic value!
Do you do custom projects? Can I make a small change to the design?
We know it seems like an easy request to modify something that is handmade, but we do get so many requests for custom work or small changes that we've had to make a blanket rule to stick to our designs as they are! Any changes do significantly disrupt the flow of production, and we just feel that it's not fair on our already very hard-working staff. Thanks for understanding!
Do I need to do anything to treat the leather when it arrives?
Since our leather is oil-tanned, you won't need to do anything to care for it at the outset. As you begin to use your bag, you'll notice that the leather will naturally condition itself from the inside out, developing a beautiful sheen and naturally buffing scuffs and scratches. After 6-12 months of use, you may notice that you'd like to condition the leather to restore its luster and buff out any dry spots or scuffs. We use the Chamberlain’s Leather Milk in our workshop every day and are able to use it on even our lightest colors without any noticeable darkening. In my experience, the leather will look a bit darker when you first apply the conditioner, but will return to the original color when dry. Of course, take care to use a reasonable amount, as a super heavy coat may have different effects on the leather. Finally, some customers choose to add an extra waterproofing spray to their leather so it will better wick raindrops and moisture, but this is optional.
What is ''Full Grain Leather''?
Full grain leather is the strongest and most durable available. It is real leather and the unique texture and natural imperfections from the cow's life have not been sanded, cut or shaved off. Full grain leather is SIX times stronger than buffed, upholstery, or 'genuine leather'. Rather than wearing out, full grain leather will naturally condition with use, developing a much sought-after patina and unique character over time. More common 'genuine leather' products available from large department stores have been stripped down and rebuilt with resins, waxes, and chemicals to make all 100,000 look identical. The best these mass-made products will ever look is the day you buy them! In contrast, your full grain Portland Leather Goods items will be stunning when you use them for the first time, and only increase in beauty with every day, becoming something you will treasure for a lifetime.
What does Almost Perfect mean?
The difference between the Premium items and our Almost Perfect items is the number of natural character marks. All full-grain leather has some natural character marks from the cow’s life - bug bites, scratches, stretch marks, wrinkles and flaps. Almost Perfect often will have a mark that is slightly more obvious or will have a combination of the characteristics above. It’s also possible that the color was just a little off from the rest of the hides. Most people are very happy with their Almost Perfect purchase and appreciate the extra uniqueness! None of these "imperfections" will affect the integrity of the item – you'll still receive a wonderfully well-made product that will last a lifetime, and if you are not happy, it can still be returned or exchanged!
Can I cancel my order?
Yes. You can cancel an order within one hour of placing it.
To request a cancellation, please send an email with your order number to
or call at
What is your returns & exchanges policy?
- In order to return or exchange an item, you must contact us within 7 days of delivery. (This window is extended around holidays.)
-You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable
- To be eligible for a return, your item must be unused and in new condition.
- We do not accept returns on personalized items, unless they arrive damaged or defective.
- There are certain situations where only partial refunds may be granted (if applicable):
* Any item not in its original condition, is damaged or missing parts for reasons not due to our error.
REFUNDS (if applicable)
- Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
- If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within a certain amount of days.
LATE OR MISSING REFUNDS (if applicable)
- If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again.
- Then contact your credit card company, it may take some time before your refund is officially posted.
- Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted.
- If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please contact us at CustomerService@PortlandLeatherGoods.com
EXCHANGES (if applicable)
- We do allow exchanges for non-personalized items. You must contact us within 7 days of delivery. If you need to exchange an item, send us an email at CustomerService@PortlandLeatherGoods.com and send your item to: 2512 SE Gladstone St. Portland Oregon US 97202.
- To return your product, you should mail your product to: 2512 SE Gladstone St. Portland Oregon US 97202.
- You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
- Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary.
- If you are shipping an item over $75, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.