Full grain leather is the strongest and most durable available and is six times stronger than buffed, upholstery, or 'genuine leather'.
It is real leather and the unique texture and natural imperfections from the cow's life have not been sanded, cut or shaved off.
Rather than wearing out, full grain leather will naturally condition with use, developing a much sought-after patina and unique character over time.
More common 'genuine leather' products available from large department stores have been stripped down and rebuilt with resins, waxes, and chemicals to make all 100,000 look identical.
Your full grain Portland Leather Goods items will be stunning when you use them for the first time, and only increase in beauty every day, becoming something you will treasure for a lifetime.
Protect your leather
1. Your leather product is made from the most durable full grain or brushed American Cowhide. With use, the leather will condition itself from the inside out, developing a beautiful patina and unique character over time.
2. To help your bag develop a glowing, natural patina resist the urge to treat or clean minor stains and scratches. Most small scratches and stains will become less noticeable over time and contribute to the character of an authentic leather bag.
3. Accidents happen! For major stains we recommend consulting a leather specialist who knows the best way to remove stains without changing the color or appearance of the leather.
4. If you carry your bags as we do - all the time - you may notice that the leather at the corners of some bags may become dry more quickly. Give your bag a little TLC with a small dab of Chamberlain's Leather Milk. A little goes a long way!
5. Light colored leathers, such as Sunflower and Tulip, are more prone to stains or discoloration from oils, water, and everyday dirt & grime. To keep these colors vibrant we recommend applying a leather protectant to help prevent stains and make cleaning the leather easier in the future. Our favorite is the Leather Protection Cream by Furniture Clinic.
Follow us @portlandleather and tag #lovemyleather for a chance to be featured.